Only about an hour south of the Twin Cities, Red Wing is a great destination for a day trip! Packed with cute shops, beautiful views and a giant boot to boot, you won’t want to miss this great city on the river. I thought I would share seven of the things you can’t miss in and around Red Wing.
- Take the scenic route (down there or back) and stop by Lake Pepin. Lake Pepin is formed by a widening of the Mississippi river and forms the border of Minnesota and Wisconsin. It is also the offical birthplace of waterskiing! Who knew?
2. Go to Red Wing shoes and see the world’s largest boot. Red Wing shoes started in 1905 making high quality work boots but now includes all kinds of different shoes and boots without sacrificing on quality. I own a pair of Vasque hiking shoes (a brand of Red Wing shoes) and they are so comfortable!
About the same size, wouldn’t you say?
3. Hike Barn Bluff. If you have the time and the stamina, hike the bluff for gorgeous views over the city. It is mostly a gradual slope up so you don’t have to be in peak shape to make it to the top! See my previous post here for more information!
4. Head down to the river to catch a piece of history. See if you can spot the River Queen, pop into the old train station or just stroll along the scenic river front.
5. Stop in to Red Wing Pottery Museum and the Red Wing Pottery Company. See where the famous and collectible Red Wing Pottery started out at the museum and head to the Company to pick up some of your own. They even have mugs shaped like Minnesota. Can’t get a better gift than that 🙂
6. Grab lunch or dinner at the Harbor View Cafe. South of Red Wing and actually across the river in Wisconsin, this place is just too cute to pass up! Sitting right on Lake Pepin, you really get dinner and a view here! The menu changes every day and everything is made from scratch so you won’t be disappointed in whatever you order.
7. Make sure to save room for dessert! Head to Red Wing Confectionery for delicious chocolate and candy treats. I recommend the English toffee! Or, save room after dinner and head to Stockholm Pie and General Store just down the road from the Harbor View Cafe. Pie and ice cream? What more could you need?!
Anyone else have suggestions for things to see that aren’t included in this list? Be sure to let me know in the comments below! Enjoy your weekend!