Minnesota

Fall Colors Road Trip to the North Shore – Day Two

I’m back with day two of our fall color road trip extravaganza!

We decided to wake up early to catch the sunrise since we were right on the lake. Due to iOS 10 problems, some of us woke up at 5:30 and some of us woke up at 6:30. You do not need to get up at 5:30 to catch the sunrise when it comes up at 7… Just in case you couldn’t figure that you on your own. ๐Ÿ™‚ It was chilly but totally worth it for the experience and, who are we kidding, the photos.

Fall Colors Road Trip - Due Midwest
We said goodbye to our cute little cabin and hit the road again.

Since we didn’t have time to stop on the way up north, we made a quick stop at Temperance River State Park. You will see signs right off the road (on the right if heading north) and there are lots on both sides of the highway to park. We only stayed for about 15 minutes so this can be a quick stop if you want it to be!

Fall Colors Road Trip - Due Midwest

Funny story time. On the way up to Lutsen, we stopped at a gas station in Beaver Bay. Right next door was a little shop called Funky Fish Gifts. All we talked about after that point was stopping there on the way back. I mean, can you think of a better name for a store? Were the gifts all fish that were funky? Or, did a funky fish curate a bunch of cool stuff for the store? The possibilities were endless. We finally found it on the way back and it was CLOSED! We had to drown our sorrows in the Christmas store down the street. I actually bought a cool “hand-warmer” mug from the store. Instead of a handle, your hand fits into the mug to keep it warm. Genius! I can’t wait to try it out once it gets colder.

Once we got over our Funky Fish Gifts disappointment, we decided to head to Split Rock Lighthouse state park. We didn’t want to go up to the lighthouse itself, but instead decided to head down to the shore to see it from afar. There are a lot of little paths to wander along the shore so make sure to leave some time (30-45 mins) to explore here!

Fall Colors Road Trip - Due Midwest

We were all full from our breakfast but we couldn’t pass Betty’s Pies and not stop. The place was hoppin’ around 1:30 when we got there so be prepared to wait or take your treats to go like us. I got raspberry peach pie for my dad and pumpkin for me. My pumpkin was down right amazing. Everyone else reported their slices were awesome as well so I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the flavors. I also picked up some pasties for my parents as a thanks for watching my dog. Seeing as he pooped in their house twice due to being sick, they definitely earned them!

Fall Colors Road Trip - Due Midwest

We stopped for a late lunch at some place off the freeway that had slow service and unremarkable food so we just won’t mention that. ๐Ÿ™‚

We squeezed all this in and made it back to Minneapolis by dinnertime! Definitely a great weekend road trip which could be extended by a couple days and be totally worth it!

If you want more detail or have more questions about our trip, leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!

Fall Color Road Trip to Lake Superior, MN - Due Midwest

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

20 Comments

• Reply Beth

I can’t believe how much you guys did in one weekend! I love Split Rock Lighthouse, and you’re right, there is a lot to explore there besides just the lighthouse! All of your pictures were amazing! And now I want pie. ๐Ÿ™‚

October 17, 2016 at 8:15 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

Thanks! I really wish I had that pie right now…

October 27, 2016 at 7:32 pm
  • Reply Emily @ More Than Just Dessert

That map with all of the points on it at the bottom of your post is really helpful! I’ve only been to the north shore once, but would love to go back…especially for more betty’s pies!

October 19, 2016 at 2:23 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

Thanks! I’m glad it’s helpful. I just have to figure out how to categorize things by type on the map… I could definitely go for some pie now too!

October 19, 2016 at 5:55 pm
  • Reply Alyse

Your trip looks amazing! So beautiful in the fall! We were hoping to get up there this year but it doesn’t look like we will have time. Planning ahead for next year already!

October 19, 2016 at 2:39 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

Definitely do it next year. If you can try to figure out when “peak time” is, you may get better colors than us but we had great weather so it was a good trade off!

October 27, 2016 at 7:33 pm
  • Reply Molly Sanchez

My mom and dad were literally here earlier this past weekend! I was so jealous as they were showing me all their Iphone photos! I love this area and hope that next year we will make a trip out of it an visit it for my and my husbands anniversary!

October 19, 2016 at 2:44 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

That would be a great anniversary trip! Snuggled up in a cozy cabin with some pie? Perfect!

October 27, 2016 at 7:33 pm
  • Reply Allison

You had quite the weekend! Love your photos and your recap. I live in St. Paul, grew up in Stillwater, but I’ve never been north of Duluth. So going to the North Shore is definitely on my list and this made me even more excited to make it happen! That cute cabin is to die for ๐Ÿ™‚

October 19, 2016 at 3:07 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

We found the cabin on VRBO so I’m sure you can stay there too! You definitely have to head up there. It’s beautiful all year round! This was my first trip all the way up to Grand Marais; I would recommend it!

October 27, 2016 at 7:35 pm
  • Reply Danielle Lindblom

Yay! Went on the same road trip earlier this summer! Stopped at temperance river and the pie place too!love your pictures!! Funny stories and a delightful read ๐Ÿ™‚

October 19, 2016 at 9:56 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

Thanks so much! I’m glad you liked it. It really is a great weekend road trip! I’m going to have to try to go in the summer next year!

October 27, 2016 at 8:08 pm
  • Reply Stacy

I love the photos–Temperance River is one of my favorite stops, but I haven’t spent much time at Split Rock (besides seeing the lighthouse/picnic area). I’ll have to check it out on my next trip.
    Also, I have one of those handwarmer mugs, and it’s amazing ๐Ÿ™‚

October 20, 2016 at 12:23 am
    • Reply duemidwest

Thanks! I would like to spend more time at Temperance River next time I’m up there. It’s so pretty! You’ll definitely have to check out the Split Rock park, it’s so pretty. I drank some tea out of the mug the other day and I totally agree, it’s awesome!

October 27, 2016 at 8:09 pm
  • Reply Bree

Looks like an amazing weekend! I actually used to live on the North Shore and the fall was my absolute favorite time of year there, SO beautiful! Your photos do a good job capturing it!

October 20, 2016 at 12:56 am
    • Reply duemidwest

That’s a great compliment from someone who lived there, thanks! It’s such a pretty part of the country!

October 27, 2016 at 8:10 pm
  • Reply Sara

Your pictures are amazing and I really want to see that mug! I really love seeing your pics, I don’t get to the north shore enough!

October 20, 2016 at 2:06 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

Thanks, Sara! I’ll show you the next time I see you. You should definitely head up north!

October 27, 2016 at 8:11 pm
  • Reply Ingrid

Beautiful! We were just up North a few weekends ago, and the colors were amazing. Love your photos!

October 22, 2016 at 12:40 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

Thanks, Ingrid! We missed peak colors but I still thought it was beautiful!

October 27, 2016 at 8:12 pm