International

Exploring Ireland Solo – Cliffs of Moher

Another fantasitc/beautiful/awe inspiring stop on my solo road trip was the Cliffs of Moher. At their highest point, they are 214m (702 feet) high and they stretch for 8 km (5 miles)! The cliffs are located along the Atlantic coast in County Clare. On a clear day, you can see all the way to the Aran Islands and Galway Bay, as well the Dingle Peninsula and Blasket Islands in Kerry. As you can see from the photos below, I was not there on a clear day but it was still so cool! I think the clouds added to the moodiness of the cliffs 🙂 You can also O’Brien’s tower below which is a lookout point for the cliffs which was built in the 1800s. It is a little extra money for admission to the tower. You’ll have to let me know if it’s worth it if you go!

Ireland Road Trip Day Two - Due Midwest

Ireland Road Trip Day Two - Due Midwest

The Cliffs of Moher are a big part of what I picture when I think of Ireland. Dramatic vistas, sheer cliffs dropping into an angry sea, and green as far as the eye can see. Even though this is a BIG tourist attraction, you won’t be disappointed with the views or the experience. The only time I felt annoyed/overwhelmed by crowds was trying to park and in the visitor’s center. Once your out on the cliffs, everyone is pretty spread out. Photos definitely don’t do it justice!

Ireland Road Trip Day Two - Due Midwest

Ireland Road Trip Day Two - Due Midwest

Make sure you set aside enough time to wander up and down both sides. When you come up from the visitor’s center, you are pretty much in the middle of the 5 mile stretch. I walked all the way down to the end of one side, but not the other. I wish I would have had the time and quite frankly the energy to go both ways. If you’re a Harry Potter fan, I would recommend walking to the right if you can only go one way. This is the view when Harry and Dumbledore go in search of the horcrux in the movie!

Ireland Road Trip Day Two - Due Midwest

Ireland Road Trip Day Two - Due Midwest

And yes, there are barely any guard rails so be really careful! When I was there, a huge gust of wind came up and nearly knocked me over. I freaked out for a minute and decided to walk on the path further away from the edge. Some people seem to be unnecessarily risky in where they were standing. It may make a good photo but it’s not worth dying for! See the photo below for an example of how the path looks.

Ireland Road Trip Day Two - Due Midwest

Ireland Road Trip Day Two - Due Midwest

Part of the cliffs are actually private lands which us tourists can use so you will probably see cows and sheep wandering the hills. They sure have an enviable view for lunch!

Ireland Road Trip Day Two - Due Midwest

Tell me more, tell me more:

Hours – It opens at 9 am regardless of the season but the closing time varies based on the time of year.

Price – 6 euros for adults which I think is pretty reasonable! O’Brien’s tower is another 2 euros.

What to wear? Since this is a main tourist attraction, a lot of the area is paved, well marked and has barriers for safety. If you walk further up the path, it becomes hard packed dirt. I wore hiking boots but I think regular tennis shoes would work too. It’s always rainy in Ireland so make sure you wear a waterproof coat and shoes you don’t mind getting muddy. I would also pack a hat because the wind can get nasty!

I need to know even more! Check out the official site for the Cliffs of Moher here.

I hope you enjoyed this quick look at the Cliffs of Moher! Stay tuned for more from my trip!

Exploring the Cliffs of Moher - Due Midwest

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

14 Comments

• Reply Josey at Sixpence Events

YES! I will go there and I will bring my wand lol

December 7, 2016 at 3:27 pm
  • Reply Malisa

Wow, that’s beautiful!

December 7, 2016 at 3:51 pm
  • Reply Jen

Gorgeous spot! I will have to add it to my list. Plus, Harry Potter!

December 7, 2016 at 4:08 pm
  • Reply Echo

Your pictures are absolutely stunning! This is one of my biggest dream trips! I swear, I will make it there someday!

December 7, 2016 at 4:10 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

Thanks so much, that’s so sweet! I got a really good deal through Groupon Getaways which I can talk about in another post if you’d be interested!

December 7, 2016 at 8:42 pm
  • Reply Danielle

breathtaking!! would have loved more detail about the 5 mile trek. what’s the terrain like, what kind of clothing/footwear should you wear, what did you love, what did you hate, all the things lol!! this is absolutely incredible, and your pictures made me feel like I was there 🙂

December 7, 2016 at 4:35 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

Good suggestions! I will definitely add those into my post so check back 🙂

December 7, 2016 at 8:41 pm
  • Reply Darcy Coulter

Haha great tips about not standing too close to the edge! I would be so scared!

December 7, 2016 at 8:36 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

I totally freaked out! My friend was telling me that she was there when someone died so I obviously thought I was going to. 🙂

December 7, 2016 at 8:40 pm
  • Reply Laura VZ

This makes me want to go back!! When I was there last they had stone panels placed for better safety. It’s simply gorgeous there.

December 7, 2016 at 8:47 pm
    • Reply duemidwest

Yes, they do have those stone panels but the further you get down the path, they aren’t there anymore!

December 7, 2016 at 9:01 pm
  • Reply Teresa @ Minnesota Wonders

I think I would get some serious vertigo standing by those cliffs! I bet the view of the waves crashing against the shoreline was mesmerizing! Looks like an incredible trip.

December 7, 2016 at 9:13 pm
  • Reply Due Midwest - A Taste of Ireland Road Trip

[…] Make your way to the Cliffs of Moher. I would make sure to give yourself at least an hour or 2 to explore, longer if you want to walk up and down both sides of the cliffs. If you want more information about what to do there, check out my post here. […]

May 20, 2017 at 2:26 pm